Thursday, December 6, 2007

social skills info

I have worked for the past twenty years in education, as a classroom teacher, an environmental educator and now as a consultant. My experience includes teaching ages from kindergarten to high school and I have special interest in inclusive education. Currently I serve on many committees in my community. At my local High School I am on the Equity Team, whose mission is to look at the issues of bullying and harassing behavior. I am a member of Valley Outreach, a coalition of agencies and professionals networking to provide supports to children and families. Starting in 2006 I became a member of the Easter Seals/NHS Autism Network for the North Country, to help coordinate services for families who have children with ASD.
In 2005 I graduated from Antioch New England University Graduate School's Autism Spectrum Disorders Certificate Program with specialized training in pragmatic group skills. Currently I am finishing my Masters in education. I have studied under nationally recognized and published authors Elsa Abele CCC, SLP, Teresa Bolick PhD, and at Michelle Garcia Winner’s Center for Social thinking.
I have developed and present a series of programs helping educators and parents understand socially challenged children. As a consultant I work with children with a range of issues including NLD, ASD, Asperger's, and ADHD. In November of this year I was presenter at the 19th Annual CHADD International Conference in Washington DC. I have a private practice for training children with pragmatic/social skill deficits that range from elementary to high school age. These groups meet once a week for an hour and we work on and practice specific skills. Finally I run a monthly support group for parents of children with NLD, ASD, Asperger's, and ADHD in northern New Hampshire.



No comments: